Excellent info and summary - thanks John!  I also found your Audio
Asylum post below, which I believe helped me further understand the
situation - especially (as you also stated above) that the S/PDIF
performance of the Touch is likely performing better than that of the
Squeezebox Classic due to the lack of a S/PDIF output filter, and thus
better resulting compatibility with the digital receivers in certain
external DACs...

--
NewBuyer