loserica;479873 Wrote:
> My comment was meant to be a half-joke, in response to this affirmation
> : "The DAC in the transporter is better than any DAC you may have."
Fair enough. It is obvious that there could be better DACs available.

loserica;479873 Wrote:
> Really, my problem is that I found out that the digital output of the
> Duet is not as good as it gets (and that using a moderately priced DAC
> such as the Lavry DA-10). I have tried three different transports, and
> all were audibily better than the SB3 digital out.
Interesting. Given that the Lavry DA10 is an example of a DAC that
claims to be completely immune to input jitter, perhaps the differences
between transports that you hear might possibly be nothing to do with
jitter (in which case focussing on the TP's jitter spec may not tell you
what you need to know). There are other plausible explanations, such as
EMI fields from the transports that impinge differently on the DA10's
analogue circuitry, or (if you're not using an optical connection) noise
on the ground plane of the transport being injected into the DAC. (If
you were doing the listening tests sighted, it could simply be
psychological factors at work).

My feeling is that the only way you will find out is to borrow a TP and
see how it performs in your system using your DAC of choice. You clearly
don't want to buy one on the off-chance it will sound better than an SB3
as a transport.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A