cliveb wrote:
> Phil Leigh;480806 Wrote:
>> Pat - Did you read that AES paper I posted? The Hawksford/Dunn one?
>> http://www.scalatech.co.uk/papers/aes93.pdf
> That's a lengthy paper with lots of complicated maths. I don't pretend
> to understand all of it. It certainly demonstrates that the SPDIF
> interface has shortcomings, but we all knew that anyway.
>
> As far as its relevance to the question in hand - whether real-world
> levels of jitter are actually audible, it says little.

I read it fairly carefully. Perhaps this is one case where having a
degree in Math is helpful.

Its a nearly 20 year old paper with one claim, that some jitter is audible.

It does say that the solution is to have your Transporter provide clock
if you are feeding it from a SPDIF input, but everyone knows that now.

I found no serious support for the claim that jitter is an issue today
for moderate audiophile components.

> Meanwhile we have people obsessing over sub-20ps jitter, worrying that
> anything greater will ruin their listening experience. Doesn't make
> sense to me.

Right, in all audio engineering, the key is to know what measurements
are important and which are not. And in some areas, we don't know what
the important metrics are. This brought the 80s karma that all amps
measure the same, so they sound the same. Not the right conclusion, the
proper one is that the engineers were not measuring the right thing.

I remain skeptical that jitter is meaningful.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/