Durberg3;495207 Wrote:
> I am new to this forum and am looking for some advice on the next step
> to take. I have an 18-year-old 2 channel stereo system that I use to
> listen to mainly classical music and soft rock that I am in process of
> upgrading.
>
> I have Paradigm Studio Reference 100 v5 speakers and have a new
> Transporter.
>
> I ripped all my music to FLAC using EAC and Accurip.  I love the
> convenience of the Transporter in being able to access all my music
> however I am finding the sound from the Transporter to be a bit on the
> dry, clinical and non-engaging side.
>
> The funny thing is that when I listen to music from my tuner the sound
> is warmer, richer and more enjoyable.  I still have an old Rotel amp
> that I am planning to replace.
>
> I would like to spend about $2000 for a new amp.  I have looked at amps
> such as the Vincent 236 MK which has a tube preamp section, the Anthem
> Integrated 225, Naim Nait XS and Armcam A38.
>
> Any suggestions for new amps or anything else that would make the
> Transporter sound a bit warmer, richer and more engaging.  Thanks for
> any suggestions.

Hello and Welcome to the Forum. Are you in the US or EU?

Are you going to use a Pre-amp or just a Transporter and an Amp?

As far as your Tuner, I am of the opinion that the warmer/richer most
people hear is source dependent. What I am saying is that most people
are used to listening to music from that source and when they start
listening to a cleaner and digital source they feel something is
missing. Well many things are missing, the music is clear and clean,
with all the music up front which people are not programmed or used to
hearing so many feel its missing something (it is: noise and source
artifacts). Give it some time and do more listening to the TP.

But if you want to keep this type colored sound (the Tuner) then a
Modwright Transporter or Tube Pre-amp might be the way to go. As for me,
a Transporter using Balanced XLR outputs straight into an amp with
Balanced XLR inputs is a very pure way to listen to what was recorded.

For under $2000, I don't know of a single amp that is designed with
Zero Feedback so there is going to be coloration and amplifier design
artifacts in the playback. Don't get me wrong, there are some nice amps
out their for $2K.

So the States or Europe, pre-amp or Transporter direct and I'll make
some direct recommendations. Also, it never hurts to "borrow" gear from
the local HiFi shop to demo at home.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr
6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Mains, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope
2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: Second Boom