...for the links. A lot of useful information!

As far as I could try it by myself (and as far as I can trust my ears)
I think that downsampling is the "evil". If a piece of music is produced
(and optimized) for 24bit/96kHz it can contain much mor dynamic. So
maybe it won't be sufficient to only downsample it.

Regarding the Asus: As with most budget solutions the Asus has a major
drawback. It's lack of a decent user interface, even for it's main
purpose (streaming of video files).

Maybe the upcoming Squeezebox Touch will be the better partner for a
24bit/96kHz capable DAC and a good basis of a budget audiophil solution.
It's not only the sonic experience, it's also the whole experience of
using and interacting with the system. And this is, where the Squeeze
system shines.

--
Ripfabrik