ralphpnj;504228 Wrote:
> (think file sharing and other forms of downloading). <snip> still think
> of their music as "albums" and need physical media, whether CDs or LPs,
> to be able to play these recordings.

I dunno about that...  Back in the day, "ripping" would have been the
technological equivalent of recording your friends album onto cassette.
We did this all the time.  And in those day's the RIAA used to moan and
bitch about that as well.

Of course anybody who has used a lot of cassette tapes knows how
fragile and easily ruined those can be, and of course there was some
loss in fidelity as well, so the record companies didn't push as hard
against these things as they might have.  It wasn't until it became
cheaper to rip and burn a full resolution CD in your basement, that was
just as good as their product, but at a tenth the price that they became
really upset!  Somewhere however, things have since gone wrong, with
people intentionally downgrading to Cassette Tape/MP3 sound quality for
convenience....

--
DCtoDaylight

Audiophile wish list: Zero Distortion, Infinite Signal to Noise Ratio,
and a Bandwidth from DC to Daylight