I've a TacT 2.2xp digital preamp and I found that if I feed the
subwoofer toslink output from 2.2xp to the toslink input of the
Transporter (TP) and tell TP to sync its clock on the toslink input, the
sound is noticeably better.

I don't understand why this is the case, as TP is supposed to have a
better clock inside.  And usually, having the clock as close to the
source as possible (ie: using TP's internal clock) should make for a
better sounding system.

If sync'ing to ext. clock via toslink results in better sound, does it
imply TP's clock is not really that well implemented?

BTW, if I sync the clock to TP's coax word clock input, that didn't
sound good at all and it is to be expected.

--
Kuro