Phil Leigh;513323 Wrote:
> It's really easy to prove that different capacitors in the audio path
> have an impact on the sound. AudioDiffMaker can prove that in seconds.
> Which you prefer is a matter of...preference.

I doubt AudioDiffMaker is going to be able to measure certain
attributes of sound, such as airiness or ambient.  The capacitor is just
an example, you can think of it as why your speakers manufacturer put
certain kinds of caps in your speakers' crossover.  They were the
results of many listening tests besides calculations.

I believe there is a body of knowledge that we are not quite sure how
to do measurement yet.  And these are audio qualities that are currently
being dealt with empirical approach, namely, listening tests and fine
tuning components.  Pass Labs, Ayre, you name it, all such high end
manufacturers fine tuned their products with empirical approach besides
superb engineering.

FWIW, I've done a speakers placement experiment awhile ago.  I placed
my speakers 12 ft apart in an equilateral triangle, so I'm also sitting
12 ft away, but they were not toed in.  I used my TacT 2.2xp and
performed a room measurement/correction.  The frequency response curve
is flat.  When I listened to this configuration, the sound stage and
imaging were aweful.  Then I toed in my speakers 30 deg completely
facing me and performed the room correction measurement.  The sound
stage and imaging were back and they were very pleasing.

If you just go by measurement on freq response, both setups have flat
response, yet the sound is very different.

--
Kuro