And if you have an SB3/Classic a 24/96 or a 24/192 file will be
resampled to 24/48 by SOX for example the server knows what the hardware
supports. If you wait a while you can get a Touch it supports 24/96
natively .
Or a used Transporter it does 24/96 out of the box.

The Squeezebox does not resample but I think a 16/44.1 will be a
24/44.1 at the output if the digital volume is 100% or set to fixed in
the software. but the last 8bits are just stuffing ( zeros) This would
not upset any external DAC, if you are using a vintage DAC that uses 20
or 16bit as maximum it will ignore the other bits, I think the spdif
standard is made that way. Adjusting the word length to 24 from 16 is no
biggie, but it is not any resampling or other fancy stuff where you try
interpolate data or such voodoo things.

I supose older DAC's may behave weird when you use the digital volume
in the SB3 ?

But if the DAC have 24bit (everything these days have it) input you can
also enjoy the digital volume control (done in 24bit won't hurt 16bit
audio) and also use replay gain for the files. Replay gain will mostly
lower the volume to match files, you can not have +10dB in digital audio
you run out of bits and it clips horribly ;)

Anyway with fixed volume or 100% at the volume controll the Squeezebox
playback chain is proved bit perfect.

I tried by encapsulating 5.1 DTS or Dolby digital audio as WAV or FLAC
files
and sending those to my HT processor, if any signal manipulation is
present the signaling bits to the processor will get scrambled (hey I'm
DTS) The sound will be white noise urgh. If you ever do this don't use
the anolog out on your squeezebox, it still believes this is 2ch PCM and
it only output noise at the DAC.
This is also a way to play those very few DTS multichannel CD's that
are available.

I'm not using replay gain or the volume control in the Squeezebox due
to the fact that my processor also have a digital volume control and I
have some DTS tracks, appearing in playlists (nasty surprise there ).

And my Meridian processor ads it own magic sauce to the mix so I to
prefer a bitperfect stream to my processor.

--
Mnyb

Main hifi: SB3 (soon to replaced by a Touch :) It is on preorder)
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Receiver (soon to be replaced by my SB3 and the SBR to be
stuffed in a box in the attic )
I use a Controller various ir-remotes and a Eee-PC with squeezeplay to
control this