pfarrell;527584 Wrote:
> Sean and Dean talked in the past about
> making the firmware be under an Open Source license. But the sticking
> point is that the firmware needs a special compiler and linker, and
> the
> license for that costs solid five figures. So they thought that no one
> would spring for a legal license, so there was no reason to release
> the
> firmware source code.

One possible work around for the compiler issue is student licenses.
Many companies offer those for free, for the duration of a course of
study (6 months or so).  There's usually a lot of restrictions on use
though, and of course absolutely no commercial application is allowed.
Sadly, I expect they would take a dim view on someone working on
updates to the firmware of a commercial product...

--
DCtoDaylight

Audiophile wish list: Zero Distortion, Infinite Signal to Noise Ratio,
and a Bandwidth from DC to Daylight