In addition there is the possibility of hardware issues. The hardware
has to have clocks that can run fast enough to support high sample
rates. The DAC chips require a clock that is a certain multiplier of the
sample rate in use. A circuit designed for a max of 96 MAY not be able
to generate fast enough clocks to run the DAC chip at the high sample
rate.

I don't know the circuit of the Transporter so I can't comment on
whether it does or not. Just because the DAC chip can work at 192 does
not mean the circuitry driving it can.

The Touch DOES have circuitry that will generate clocks that will run
it's DAC chip at 192, so it IS just software.

On the issue of compilers, big $$ is right. Several years ago I was
trying to program a USB chip, the official compiler to use with that
chip was $2700, a little out of my resources! There was a free compiler
available, but it used radically different calling conventions so it
could not talk to the subroutines built in to the ROM on the chip. I
spent several months trying to write assembly level hacks to get access
to those routines. I finally gave up after realizing that the routines
on the chip didn't use the same calling convention specified in the
compiler documentation. Figuring out what they actually used was going
to be way too much work. I'm still bloody from beating my head against a
brick wall on that one.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson