Phil Leigh;540179 Wrote:
> Well Rick that's actually an interesting question but I don't believe it
> has anything to do with "detail"...
>
> IMO (and many other peoples) each track has its optimum minimum level
> for playback - if it's quieter it just sounds a bit "weak" and
> unexciting. Get to that magic level and it grips you. Go too far and
> some tracks get a bit "shrieky" on some systems.
>

> IMO for most tracks there is a magic level where the track comes alive
> and sounds great. Some speakers also have a certain amount of (what
> I'll call) "inertia" and need to be operating at a certain level to
> "open up and sing"
>

> To put things in perspective, in the 70's-80's people aspired to a top
> range vinyl or tape playback system with a dynamic range equivalent to
> top studios. This was in fact somewhere around 75-80dB at absolute best
> (usually somewhat lower). 16-bit has a DR of 96dB when properly
> recorded...

Again, my apologies for being stupid, but I find this rather
fascinating. Assuming your example of properly recorded music at 16
bit---having a DR of 96db......is that 96db something one can measure
with a decibal meter or is that measured via some other methodology?

--
rgro

Rick

System information
Running Squeeze Server 7.5.0 r30464  on Windows 7 64 bit/ HP Pavillion
w/Intel i7 processor.

1 Duet Controller running 7.5.0 r8673, and 1 receiver running firmware
V 65.

Controller and receiver configured in all-wireless set-up using Netgear
WNDR 3700.