Equipment

TASCAM US144 MKII, MKI, and EMU 0404 (all similar devices) using ASIO
Meridian G68
Transporter

What works.

If I Test My Meridian driving SPDIF from TASCAM and Recording Analog
out with TASCAM it looks pretty clean. One small bump at 60hz. Normal
Volume.

More importantly Calibration Test passes.

If I Test Transporter driving SPDIF from TASCAM and Recording Analog
out with TASCAM is looks pretty clean. Max Volume. One small bump at
60Hz. Unbalanced. I did not do Volume test again with better cables and
carefully routing unbalanced away from any power cords. Because I want
to understand why a WAV won't work first.

More importantly Calibration Test passes.

What does not work:

Then I do the exact same test on Transporter but instead of Driving
with SPDIF. I play a .WAV file with test signal.

Calibration Test says signal is distorted.

I verified I can Play a WAV file on PC out on SPDIF and Analyze it from
another PC recording it SPDIF. Got perfect results as expected. So I
know the WAV procedure works.

My balanced inputs on TASCAM don't seem to be correct level sensitivity
to try balanced outputs on Transporter.

I think it has something to do with clocks. When I drive the TASCAM (or
EMU) the Clock from SPDIF output of TASCAM is used for the ADC of Analog
coming back.

I even tried using the internal clock of the TASCAM to drive clock on
Transporter. I know this was clocking it. Because no data was actually
going over it and if I pulled it everything stopped. Also if I changed
RightMark to 88.2 the 44.1Khz the song Transport was playing played
double speed.

So I can record the analog great if driven by SPDIF directly. But I
can't record it (and pass calibration tests) if it uses it's own
internal clock.

If I run the test anyway it's total junk.

The exact same thing happens if I record the Meridian Analog while
Transporter plays a file.

I can record the file digitally out of the Transporter and it works
perfect as expected.

Since one side is analog you would not think clocks would matter. But I
think they do.

I'm curious how folks tested SqueezeBox and Touch with Right Mark.

I tried 16/44, 24/44 and 24/88. All the same thing.

Oh, if I play a DTS file on Transporter Meridian will decode it.
Nothing is mucked with. To SqueezeServer and Transporter it looks just
like a FLAC with a WAV in it. If Volume is changed from 100 it will not
decode.

But just in case I wiped SqueezeServer install and reinstalled
(including all settings).

--
mswlogo

XP > Cat5 > Transporter/DuetController > SPDIF > Meridian G68 > DSP6000,
DSP5500HC, DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > SB3 > SPDIF > Meridian DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > DuetReceiver > SPDIF > Meridian G91 > DSP5000

'My Transporter Setup'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=350741&postcount=45)
'Hitch Hikers Guide to Meridian' (http://www.meridianunplugged.com)