mswlogo;544715 Wrote:

> This is the Meridian Test adding digital attenution with Transporter
> and Bringing Levels back up with Analog knob on Merdian and remeasuring
> leaving TASCAM fixed.
>
> http://meridianunplugged.com/downloads/ComparisonMeridianDigitalAttenuationWavtoWav/Comparison.htm
>
> This is the Transporter Test adding digital attenution with Transporter
> and Bringing Levels back up with Analog knob input Gain on TASCAM.
>
> http://meridianunplugged.com/downloads/ComparisonTransporterDigitalAttenuationWavtoWav/Comparison.htm
I'm surprised about the amount of dynamic range lost at -24db by a TP
in this test.

Looking deeper however...the first 6db of attenuation shows just 0.1db
of dynamic range lost, the next 6db shows 1db lost, the next 12db shows
6db lost. This is exactly the pattern I would expect to see. Where the
DAC noise is so low compared to 16 bit quantisation noise, increasing
the DAC noise doesn't impact much. As you go further down it starts to
impact and then finally it accelerates.

A Benchmark DAC1 would perform better. Looks like the Meridian DACs
perform better too?

To my mind the results show digital volume can be used in the right
circumstances.
Darren

--
darrenyeats

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/A3H57URKQB8AQO/ref=cm_pdp_content_listmania/203-7606506-5721503.

(Inguz bass EQ'd) SB3 -> (pre bypassed) Krell KAV-300i -> PMC AB-1
(caps bass EQ'd) Desktop -> Genius Slab SW-flat2.1 700
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II