John S: thanks for your comments.

JohnSwenson;547824 Wrote:
> Sorry I haven't jumped in yet on this thread, I've been busy helping out
> people in the Touch forum.

No problem at all. Such esoteric issues as the present one should be
less important than making the Touch work at all (which again isn't
going to save the world anyway :)

JohnSwenson;547824 Wrote:

> There are two main characteristics which make up the "quality" of a
> S/PDIF out, one is its impedance characteristics, the TDR will measure
> that. The other is jitter.

For those, like myself, who don't know what a TDR is the Omnipresent
knows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-domain_reflectometer

As I understand a TDR will get you a measurement of how clean the
signal is? Asking, since it has been hinted that the Touch puts out
"cleaner edges" (and therefore makes it more likely that the DAC
interprets the signal with greater precision).

JohnSwenson;547824 Wrote:

> What I have works well for relative comparisons, not for absolute
> numbers.

Thats probably the best way for folks like me, that do not really have
knowledge to translate absolute numbers into anything remotely useful.

JohnSwenson;547824 Wrote:

> The Touch also has an S/PDIF output circuit that should introduce lower
> jitter than the circuit in the SB3. The SB3 uses a fairly common
> parallel gate output circuit. This can add jitter because of noise
> generated in the chip itself. Because of the internal power
> distribution network the PS noise at each chip will be different which
> can cause timing distortion (jitter) at the output. The Touch uses a
> single "pico gate" chip which has extremely low internal inductance
> producing significantly less jitter on the output.
>
> I haven't actually measured the S/PDIF outputs directly, its harder to
> do than measuring the clock. Maybe someday I'll get to that.

But in order to get an idea of a rough upper bound I suppose one could
dig up measurements taken from the S/PDIF output of an SB3, and hold
them together with your comments here. Its still just an indicator, but
a somewhat qualified one then?

By the way, the measurements you have, are those the ones sometimes
called 'intrisic jitter'?

--
bhaagensen