This Matrix stereo downmix is a feature of the DVD-A system it -should-
work , hmm maybe time to drag out my copy was it Brothers in Arms ?

Normally you only use this if there is no Stereo track on the DVD-A .

technically these downmix "works" but artistically they could be
whatever.
It's a course method compared to a real engineer doing a real stereo
mix from the 24 track or what it was.
This of-course depends on how the 5.1 was done and what is in the other
4.1 channels and how much of the other channel are used in the matrix.
The matrix downmix of "Brothers in Arms" sounds ok to me, maybe there
are smart ways to make the matrix downmix "ok".

I wonder what audacity reports a "clipping" most of these are when the
sample actually hits full 24 bits not a flatline between several
samples.
So I say it is points where you should suspect clipping. Is it really
clipping if a single sample hits the full word length, to know this you
must have knowledge of how it locked like before AD to see if in fact
the transient should have been  a little bit louder the software can
not have this knowledge.

If it's a flat between several samples it is very likely that it is
clipped

And also being the "hit song" of the album  Money for nothing sounds as
it does the hit's is always a hotter mix "brothers in arms" looks much
better for example . But Money for nothing is a very benign example of
this.

for the kids out there ;) in the beginning of the loudness war it was
common practice that only the hit song(s) should sound like crap , not
all songs like it is now.

I like this album, it is better than you remembered I just skip Money
for nothing 50% times i listen to it and walk of life 100% of the
time's

--
Mnyb

Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J and assorted amps SiriuS,
Classe'Primare and Dynadio speakers (including a pair of Contour 4 )
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Miscellaneous use: Radio (with battery)
I use a Controller various ir-remotes and a Eee-PC with squeezeplay to
control this