Hello.

THis is a really in-depth technical question.  Proabably one of the
original
Slim designers would have to asnwer it.

I've got my DAC going, and it uses the input Fs encoding in the input
data
stream to figure out what the output word clock F should be.

If the Transporter is running off its internal clock, I see that the
DAC
is interpreting that correctly and tells me the input word rate.

However, I designed my DAC with an output word clock so I could have
the
Transporter slave off the DAC's word clock.

Here's the issue.  When the Transporter is set to use its word clock,
it
appears that the Fs encoding is not coming from the source material
like
it should be.  It looks like the Transporter is changing its mind
about
what the Fs value should be..... giving first one encoding value, then
another, then another, etc.  I don't have a logic analyzer in there so
cant see what these encoding values are or how often they're changing.
This behaviour is ONLY changing when there is a speed change
associated
with the two tracks.

The upshot of the above is - when there is a speed change from one
track to another, the DAC clock selection is oscillating, because the
transporter keeps changing the darned Fs on it, the DAC reacts
immediately
to the change, giving a new clock speed, then it all goes round again.
Again I can't really prove what is going on exactly because I haven't
a LA at home :-(.

Also - my DAC has the ability to manually generate the output word
clock. When there is a conflict between the music file and the input
word
clock, the Transporter uses the word clock correctly. THat is, I can
make
it sound like the old tape decks that you could change the tape speed.
I'm now going to see if the Fs is not correct when this happens.

I think the Transporter MUST use the Fs encoding from  source material,
and
ignore what the speed of the word clock is.

Is there anyone at Logitech that can tell me what the Transporter is
doing?  That is, that Fs in the SPDIF output stream is a function of
the
word clock or not?  I content it shouldn't be.  If it is, that explains
the
oscillating behaviour when the Transporter is using its word clock
input.

--
wayne325