earwaxer9;567428 Wrote:
> Ok - 1st impressions of the cat7 - I'm actually pleased to find that my
> 1st impression is that I really dont find any difference (sound wise)
> between the cat5e el cheapo Walmart cable and the SOTA Sanwa cat7. They
> actually cost about the same - 20 bucks for the 25 ft cat5e, and about
> the same on the internet for the 25 ft cat7. The cat7 has a much more
> substantial feel to it with gold plated contacts.
>
> That impression was satisfying for a couple of reasons: It has been
> reported by Gordon Rankin (Wavelength audio) and others that they have
> noticed substantial differences in the sound of various USB cables,
> even over asynchronous USB interfaces. That has been troubling to me,
> and was one of the factors that lead to my decision to buy the
> Transporter.
>
> To my understanding, an asynchronous USB would be most similar to
> Ethernet in the transmission of digital data. I still believe Ethernet
> is superior. Not only due to the fact that Ethernet can be used over
> much longer distances, but also much higher frequencies.
>
> Not sure about the comparison between Ethernet and Firewire. That is a
> discussion for another thread!

Bwa? USB cables "sound" different? Go ahead and get a job with MONSTER
(or BOSE.) Unless you are talking about USB 1.0 vs USB 2.0 cables,
bugger off!

The "cat" is a specification of transmission speed at a given length.
This involves the x-talk as well as the shielding. Most 1 gigabyte
adapters are not yet capable of talking that fast. 100 Mb therefore is
the only issue.

pski

real stereo makes the lights dim on the bass notes. (this means your amp
could also use it's own circuit.)