JohnSwenson;572357 Wrote:
> Where did this come from?... I (and others) say we can hear the
> difference between PCM and FLAC decoding on the Touch. Others
> emphatically state this is theoretically impossible... What I was after
> was ... test if it is even possible to hear a difference... How wide
> spread the capability is and if its applicable to a wide range of music
> was not the emphasis ... I think it complicates what I was trying to get
> at, can a difference really be heard at all. I have stated before that
> its much easier to hear the difference on some songs than on others, so
> I don't think I was trying to say that its equally applicable to all
> music... at least me it seems that running the test with someone who
> says they can hear it, using a song they say shows it well, is a
> worthwhile initial test.

Good questions John - You're right that it can indeed quickly get
complicated.  It completely depends upon the population about which you
are trying to make your "theoretically possible to hear a difference"
conclusion.  Are you trying to establish non-scientific evidence for
something that is *only* applicable to simply yourself and a few others
highly nonrepresentative of the general user base?  Or, do you wish to
find evidence that could reasonably describe the general population of
users?  If the former, your conclusions statistically speaking will of
course be extremely biased and thus not of much use to anybody outside
of the "special" group, since for example that group's perceptive
abilities may be extraordinarily different from most others, or somehow
merely connected to sloppy experiment design/lack of a control group and
resulting placebo affect complications.  What's more, any number of
potential lurking variables can then also have much more than chance
likelihood to in reality influence any apparent correlation, instead of
the particular connection you are wishing to find evidence for via such
a test.  If the latter (i.e. you wish the test results to be
generalizable to the greater population of users), then all sources of
reasonably imaginable bias - e.g. self-selected subjects, special
songs, specified listening equipment, etc - must certainly be
controlled and minimized to the greatest possible degree, in order for
the results to have validity in any statistical sense.  You can still
perform a test in the absence of these considerations and get
collections of numbers/results/etc, but their validity and usefulness
can of course be thus compromised.  That said, if these concerns don't
matter to you or anybody else, then great!  But otherwise, I still felt
obligated to make these statements regardless, in case anybody else
reading this thread might relate to these observations and the
associated potential issues with the actual statistical validity of any
conclusions drawn.

--
NewBuyer