Fair point, but no one said the tests all have to be done in the same
sitting, or even the same day. Or for that matter, with the same piece
of music. In fact, that would be a really bad way to do ABX testing. A
better way would be one that takes into account the different types of
music one listens to and the different moods we find ourselves in.

That said, I am sure that some people -- because of lack of time or
patience -- do marathon sessions of playing a few tracks, or snippets
of tracks over and over until it borders torture. I agree that little
if anything would be gained from that. Strictly speaking it wouldn't
necessarily be biased, but it would be useless.

However, I disagree that a good test only leaves you exactly where you
started. Well designed tests can rule out the placebo effect. In other
words, one can subjectively say that component X makes a night-vs-day
difference compared to component Y, and then be unable to distinguish
the two objectively in a blind ABX test. If a listener cannot
objectively tell the difference, but is happier knowing that component
X is in his rack instead of component Y, that is something different.

--
aubuti