On 13/10/10 18:22, magiccarpetride wrote:

> Archimago;497345 Wrote:
>> Just got my Beatles USB stick.  Anyone done ABX testing of 24 bit FLAC
>> vs CD?
>>
>> I'm thinking of upsampling a track from remastered 16-bit CD to 24-bits
>> and doing some ABXing myself, any Beatle audiophile can recommend which
>> track is considered of high enough quality that 24 bits can make a
>> difference???
>
> OK, I got intrigued by this thread and went out last night and bought
> me the USB (I got a really good price at my local HMV -- $149.00).
>
> My god, quel difference! I don't believe this. Is it really possible
> that a 8 bit longer word can make such an audible difference?

I'm listening on a Transporter, and I just did a small experiment. I put
both the 16- and 24-bit versions of "Here Comes The Sun" into the
Transporter playlist and shuffled them so I didn't know which one was
playing. I then listened to them both, mainly the intro, several times.
I chose the one I preferred - it was the 24-bit.

So, non-blind, sample size of one, 50% chance of being right anyway -
doesn't prove anything.

But I think you're right - 24-bit makes quite a lot of difference.

Good, isn't it?

R.
--
"Feed that ego and you starve the soul" - Colonel J.D. Wilkes
http://www.theshackshakers.com/