I was able to reduce (but not eliminate) the popping and crackling by
disabling the Music Information Screen and turning scrolling off.  It
looks like every time the player "thinks", I get a pop with the Keith
Jarrett tracks.

Something interesting is that if I take the wav file and use sox to
create a flac with the same syntax that is in convert.conf (sox -q -t
wav $INFILE$ -t flac -c 0 -r 96000 $OUTFILE$), I get a file that is
ever so slightly larger at compression level 0 than the standard flac
executable.  This file does not crackle.  If I use the standard flac
executable that is part of dbPoweramp at compression level 0, it
crackles.  I don't know what sox is doing differently to create the
file, or why the compression is slightly lower.

If I disable flac transcoding and use native PCM in file types on the
server, the wav file plays just fine.  The combination of FLAC decoding
and the new CPU load in the firmware updates is just a bit more than the
unit can handle.

I have never opened a bug, but I do have a ticket open with the help
desk.  I will refer them to this post so that they can see what others
have written.  I never tried firmware 84, as the nightlies were at 85
by the time I started experimenting.

--
Celeritas

Transporter -> Classe' CP-47.5 -> Classe' CA-201 -> Martin Logan SL3