For me, if you want a certain quality to the sound I don't believe the
digital source is the right place to expect that. Use down-stream
equipment to deliver the qualities of sound you like (and that's fine -
see below). For me, it's like complaining an RCA connector is "boring"
because it's transparent.

But this is interesting because I've come to realise there are two
different ways of looking at hi-fi and both are equally valid.

One opinion is that the best hi-fi is that which makes the most
recordings sound the best or most real. If you think about it, it's a
very sensible opinion and I won't criticise it - indeed I cannot.

The other opinion is that the best hi-fi delivers the original
recording as closely as possible. On many recordings, this may be
deliver an experience which is less "real" and perhaps less
"comfortable". However, when done properly this is not an unpleasant
sensation and I would say it's the opposite of boring. Instead of
hearing the equipment you hear the recordings and there is a lot
variety out there, variety that can easily be papered over. Anyway, I'm
just saying this is an another way of looking at things.

At this point in my audio journey I keep the second view but I respect
completely those dedicated to the first view. Enjoy the music
everyone!
Darren

--
darrenyeats

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/A3H57URKQB8AQO/ref=cm_pdp_content_listmania/203-7606506-5721503.

(Inguz bass EQ'd) SB3 -> (pre bypassed) Krell KAV-300i -> PMC AB-1
(caps bass EQ'd) Desktop -> Genius Slab SW-flat2.1 700
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II

SqueezeControl for Android