duke43j;610326 Wrote:
> Now I’m thinking – Either these claims are totally bogus, or I’m just
> looking in the wrong price range. The retail cost of the Rega table,
> cartridge and phono preamp was about $1500, which is comparable to the
> cost of my SB3 and Benchmark DAC 1. How high up the food chain do you
> have to go to get this “better than digital” sound that people are
> claiming? Does anybody have a good digital front end (i.e. comparable
> to a Benchmark, Berkeley, Wavelength Audio Proton, etc.)  with an
> analog front end that they think sounds better?
In an objective sense, vinyl is a complete dog's dinner compared to CD
format digital. That said, the distortions inherent in vinyl replay can
be euphonic and some people prefer its characteristic sound. When they
say it's "better", what they really mean is that they enjoy it more.
(There is a lunatic fringe which clings to an insane belief that vinyl
is actually more accurate than digital, but they are simply howling at
the moon).

Now, *if* you were the sort of person who prefers vinyl to digital, the
Rega TT you've heard is already far enough up the food chain to
demonstrate such a preference. Since you were not impressed with what
you heard, then there is no device higher up the food chain that will
change your mind, not even a Rockport Sirius or Goldmund Reference.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A