What is most supicius with naim in my opinion.

Whe know the box and powersypply is the most expensive things in any
product costing more than the circiut boards, in hi end hifi it would
be the box for line level products.

Yet naim seems to perversly by design maximise the box count ? It comes
as no surprise that you can "upgrade" with an external psu ;) what if
they did internal psu good enough ?

And what about thier incredibly expensive analog preamps ?

This can not by a mile be an efficient way to build hifi, not even in a
"cost no object" aproach it gets very expensive and that seems to be the
piont ?

I wish that more real engineers where left in the audio bussines.

Many of John sugestion are expensive but some are not, carefull board
layout and circiut design is not.
If you are going to massproduce circiutboards for a product a bad
design and a good design would cost about the same to produce if
someone actually cared even our cheapest products would perform much
better.
Lets not forget that some of the more esoteric design principles ( no
nfb ) seems more suspectible to ps noise and artifacts, a sensible
compromise here would make the midfi products really good, some of the
better op amps are designed to tolerate not soo god powersupplies ? A
decent design would suffice, no need to go ott.

That would leave design as sugested by john to the real cost no object
products where you actually get soundquality for your money, not only
fancy boxes as most high end seems to be now.

Hifi has become so niche that no real engineers are involved, and the
client side have people buing cable supports ? And powercords instead
of well enginered products ?

I love john's  rediscovery of the snubber circiut diode+resitor to be
used in his powersuplies.
This or similar circiuts are stock items in the industrial rectifiers
and DC and AC drive system I work with and have been so since before I
was born. And also the series inductance is not forgotten either.

I mean is John a very very good engineer one of the best ? or is
engineering simply out of style in audio ?
Or both , no offense meant.

--
Mnyb

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad 64gB wifi +3g with iPengHD & SqueezePad