OK thanks for all your lovely help in this thread - my (so far)
preferred route for the ultimate transport solution (OK not ultimate
but best value by far perhaps), goes like this:

Dell Netbook 1018 >> USB 2.0 Isolater (to galvanically isolate the PC)
>> V-Link >> Black Cat Veloce >> modified DPA Little Bit 3 DAC.

The Dell is a fan-less model, and of course comes with no power supply
problem when running on batteries.

The USB isolator seems like a good idea from here:
http://electronics-shop.dk/galvanically-usb_isolation

The V-Link allows the clock to be pulled out of the Dell (via async
USB)as reference to my DAC which currently uses spdif.

I can't think of anything better especially when the formula can also
be seen as:

£200 >> £40 >> £100 >> £60 >> £100 to upgrade my DPA = quite cost
effective for me and can scale well.

--
stop-spinning