I would think that the best of worlds would be where the transport feeds
a DAC over a digital interface that supports flow control (e.g.
Ethernet). That way the DAC would be able to fill a local buffer
(memory) with digital data that is then clocked out to the converter
with an independent clock. The embedded interface clock would then be a
non-issue. I would think this would be difficult to do when the
transport is a spinning disc. The Transporter should be able to do
this, but I’ve seen some lukewarm reviews of it both on this site and
the mainstream sites. I’m not sure why this is so.

I think that is the way the Wavelength DAC works using a USB interface.
>From reading the literature, it sounds like it controls the flow of data
by sending NAKs (not acknowledge) back to the source which effectively
tells the source to retransmit the data (thereby slowing down the data
stream). This approach should work, but it sounds a little clumsy. Do I
understand this correctly? Does anybody have another understanding of
how async USB works?

--
duke43j