I'll chime in about the difference of the images on a Mac(or any
machine).

Many decoders suffer from rounding errors or simply wrong
implementations of a standard.
Many jpeg decoders sacrifice accurate decoding for the sake of speed.

The image might not be align correctly on the monitors pixels due to
the browsers own logic.

So the difference between Safari and Firefox(all undefined versions as
well btw!):
-non ISO compliant jpeg decoder
-pixels not aligned on screen. This could be caused by the browser not
putting the image in a nice spot. It could be caused by the rendering
engine with its code deliberately rounding things to increase speed or
to keep the maths sane.
-other image tampering for whatever purpose the browser developers do.
-any or all of the above could be deliberate or unknown bugs.

The only thing that is known for sure is that it has nothing at all to
do with a digital to analog conversion. It is purely different maths
used in the two browsers.

One said 7x7 = 49 the other said 7x7=49.00001 or whatever.

For what its worth I know nothing about violins but I would say the
varnish is a very small piece to the overall reason for why one violin
might sound better than the next. It might help a tiny bit but much
bigger and realistic wins could be found elsewhere.

--
bits