magiccarpetride;619708 Wrote:
> What is it in our hobby that provokes such nasty behavior, as
> illustrated not only on numerous audio forums, but even in some of the
> reputable publications:
>
> http://www.stereophile.com/thinkpieces/021708swiftboat/index.html
>
> As the author nicely points out, if I spend $20,000 on a wrist watch
> that is no more accurate in telling time than a cheapo Swatch, no one
> gets upset. But if I spend a few hundred bucks on a pair of speaker
> cables, people start foaming at the mouth and organize a lynch mob and
> want to burn me alive for being a witch.
>
> What's wrong with these people? (wait, I think I know what's wrong with
> them: they have no life, they are bitter for still living in their
> parents' basement, or their spouses are probably cheating on them
> behind their backs; that's the only plausible explanation)

As of late, you seem to have a flea in your fur that's demanding to be
scratched. ;-)

There are bitter people on both sides of all arguments. For every
person who belittles expensive cables, there is an equally rabid fan
who can hear the extra dose of rhythm and pace possessed by superior
metal atoms.

As for wrist watchs, owners of Rolex, Patek Philippe and the like long
ago gave up their "most accurate" badge to the cheap digitals. Today,
the fancy watches are all about being jewelry - displaying one's
wealth, status and taste.

Most people just ignore the debate.

--
mlsstl