earwaxer9;621879 Wrote:
> Not sure the origin of that quote. All I know is that my system sounds
> quite a bit different now than it did several years ago. In the
> positive direction. Same basic components. Wire here, cap there. The
> doubters will be there. They can have their zip cord and eat it too!
Apparently you misunderstand my point. I've never said there are -no-
physical changes during break-in that can audibly affect sound.

Where the error arises is when some listeners completely remove the
non-audio psychological factors from the equation. They ascribe some
type of super-human ability to themselves - an ability to control all
possible subjective influences. In their mind the only explanation for
any audible difference they perceive is due to some physical aspect of
the component in question.

For the listener, it doesn't really matter if a "break-in" improvement
is due to the physical attributes of a capacitor, wire or whatever, or
if it is due to some subliminal psychological adjustment. It's their
system, so whatever helps improve their listening experience is a good
thing.

The problem with subjective issues arises when one is doing research
into the audibility of things. My subjective influences are not the
same as yours. My underlying psychology may exhibit in a completely
different fashion than yours.

That is a major factor in explaining why so many "staggering" changes
fade considerably when people don't know the identity of the component
in question. It also helps explains why reactions can vary so much from
one person to the next.

--
mlsstl