This was over my head.
But it brought up a few questions ? Knowing that my computer has
anything to do with the sound coming out of the system really bothers
me. Up until now I thought of the computer and especially the hard
drive as merely a glorified CD (just a container of the file type).

Am I to understand that some open source program called SOX with many,
many tweakable parameters is doing A/D conversion ? Or any other
conversion ?

I play almost only FLAC files, but some MP3 files. I noticed the sample
rates being in need of conversion in the OP comments here:

"SB Server will fill in the %d with either 44100 (if sampling down from
88.2kHz) or 48000 (from 192 or 96). For the Touch, this will only kick
in above 96 kHz."
I think that FLAC and MP3 do not need conversion. Am I correct in that
?

Is this a Linux only conversation or is Windows having anything to do
with sampling rates, conversion, etc... as I saw "ubuntu" mentioned in
the original post ?

thanks,

brjoon1021