adamdea;629632 Wrote:
> As to the second point do read the Pohlmann book as it explains it very
> well. The point is the quantisation error is noise if uncorrelated to
> signal or distortion if correlated (this is essentially a definitional
> proposition; but it coincides with a pyschoacoustical point that random
> eror is less annoying than signal related error). At low levels ADC's
> quantisation error will for engineering reasons become correlated.
> Hence it becomes distortion. A dithered sigbnal not only decorrelates
> the error but it makes it possible to decode signal BELOW the lsb for
> reasons which are very tricky to understand (but if you imagine a
> repetitive sigbnal plus random noise you can see that by stistical
> inference you can decode the signal below the noise.) Believe it or not
> dither was discovered (not invented) as it naturally occured in WWII
> airplane navigation instruments- they worked better (ie more
> accurately)in the planes (where there was vibration) than in the lab-
> why? because the random vibration decorrelated (and maybe reduced?)the
> errors caused by stickiness at the lowest level of reading.
> AS for your maths I can;t find a published table to check my reasoning
> but I still can't see how distortion is 25% with two bits. The maximum
> signal is 3 (11) and the quantisation error is surely still 0.5 at
> most.(Help there must be someone clever here who can confirm one way of
> the other)

That's correct. The quantisation error (noise) is alawys in the lowest
0.5 bit.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103
- full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5),
Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Belden Digital,Kimber
8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.