adamdea;630328 Wrote:
> The point has been made that if there is already noise in the signal
> equal to at least one lsb then there Is no need to dither.

I know, must have been me...

I only can´t read all the same reasoning again and again. He wonders if
dither has any advantage on music besides these sinuid technical
samples.
If it was that easy with music there would be plenty of music samples
that made it clearly audible. And i don´t talk about some
foottappiness.
I have the impression in the same breath there comes the intention that
someone needs 24bit to get "real resolution" and dither can´t help with
16bit.
But it is more the other way around. Why needs anyone 24bit if the
dithered 16bit version is not to distinguish alrteady?

And i rdepeat myself that all this argueying reminds me on the
beginning on digital audio days and therefore our forum here is maybe
the false place to ask. At least i see myself confirmed with that
suggestion because we are no step further...

--
Wombat

Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA
monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers