TerryS;630441 Wrote:
> I only meant to say that the proposed technique might show some
> interesting results if applied to the CD encoding process that our
> present suite of sine wave based tools are not capable of showing.
>
> Terry

Sine waves are used because you can make a meaningful measurement.  At
a single frequency you see the amplitude and phase response at that
frequency, as well as any "added" frequency content which is due to
distortion.  You can also do two-tone tests to look for intermodulation
distortion.  With a broadband "real" signal, it's just too difficult to
isolate what the source of distortion is so it's not really useful.  I
imagine there could be metrics for a broadband signal test to verify
the accuracy of the result, but the typical tests are more useful to
understand where the deficiencies lie.

--
tcutting