Deaf Cat;634288 Wrote:
> Ah well, I was thinking my speakers needed just a little lift of some
> sort, slightly sweeter in the mids maybe.
>
> I started to look into upgrading the passive crossover components,
> changing the capacitors etc, or rebuilding the whole crossover.
>
> As time is some what short for hobbies at the moment I thought if I'm
> taking them apart I want to put in the best I can afford as they
> probably won't come apart again for a good while.  When adding up the
> cost and time, I thought I may as well investigate active!
>
> From what I've been reading, active seems to result in more impressive
> results than passive upgrades...  who knows though, untill one has
> tested it ones self...  Not got the time or money for both.
>
> It makes sence to use the amp to power everything rather than loosing
> some power in the passive circuits..
>
> So in answer to your question, no not new ones, playing with the old
> :-)

sounds fun as hobby thing, a programable and configurable device like
The DCX will do experiments easier, a good starting piont is to figure
out what the passive filters did xover freq filter slopes and more
baffle step compensation etc. Even if the passive filter looks simple
it can be a considerable amount of thinkinh behind it anyway.

Imho such diy should be done for fun and as a hobby, it's hard to
compete with ready made stuff , you must be really good or have
reqirements that is not provide by the market to save money this way,
some designs are not possible to sell even if they are good , things
can not be big and uggly ;)

--
Mnyb

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad 64gB wifi +3g with iPengHD & SqueezePad