Most if not ALL of the 15+ systems that will be at the fest are $10,000+
range...  ours fall into the $50,000 range. Not sure what $300 units you
are talking about...

Well here was the latest update to the test as of last night....

The test is about the same...  a few minor changes, but nothing major..
NO optic cables, as I have learned THEY SUCK.
Digital RCA's will be the cable of choice, from each source to the
pre-amp, which I will be MAKING myself ;)

I recently learned that EAC wav files are 100% uncompressed, as perfect
to the original CD track as possible. So FLAC files are out too.
I can make FLAC files using EAC as well... We could A-B test wav vs
FLAC for a 2nd test. But we will have enough on our plate already I
think.

The Proceed pre-amp is in, as the pre-amp/DAC that will decode both the
CDP and the PC files.
Other than that, I don't think much has changed since the start of this
thread.

Tom and I got off the phone a little while ago. We discussed "What the
test should actually be"

We came to the conclusion, that there will be (2) parts to the test.
1) Can you hear a difference between the 2 sources...  and Tom will
have to document what cues he hears in each recording, that don't match
up.
2) Which of the 2 "sounds better, and why"  test-2 will only have to be
done if test-1 is NOT NULL.

The equipment will be set up by me, and Tom will not know which source
is which. He will only be able to go by source-A and source-B.
We will be able to switch back and forth on the fly with the Proceed's
remote, and if whatever CDP'r we use has a remote,
then we will be able to cue up the PC file and the CD track
simultaneously every time, and Tom will never know which source he's
really listening to.

The perfect outcome in my opinion would be in test-1, that there is no
difference, and we never even go on to test-2
I hope the outcome IS null, that they DO sound the same. THAT IS THE
TEST.

--
Toy Maker

(2) Squeezebox3's - (1) Transporter2 - 7TB Acer Home Server - iPad -
iPeng
And more toys than any one person should be aloud to own.