Harry G;652321 Wrote:
> ..Aside to Mr. Leigh if you're still here: The maker of your fine
> speakers was the first person to point me at the importance of
> precision in audio setup when he taught me to setup his turntable
> nearly forty years ago. The difference in sound between getting it done
> and doing it right was staggering. Made me understand the concept of
> religious conversion.

Yes I'm still here - you can't get rid of me that easily :-)

I'm not questioning the need for "precision" in audio engineering. It
is very important. My point was very specific to this discussion - and
I'm sure Mr Tiefenbrun would agree given the nature of some of his
speaker designs...

The Inguz skew control should be set to compensate for any discrepancy
in the straight-line distance from tweeter to ear. At 44.1kHz sampling
rate this equates to 22.68μs of time delay per sample or about a
third of an inch (7.7mm) of distance. This is ONLY true at this one
sampling rate, so if you play material at different rates it only works
for some of them. This is one reason why I fix everything at 96kHz,
where each sample is 7.7 * 44.1/96 mm of distance...

This effectively compensates for fixed placement discrepancies in the
speakers.

However, the reality is that:

1) we don't hold our heads still or even in the same position in any of
the 3 axes. This movement introduces bigger and unpredictably variable
errors.

2) the spatial / phase relationships simply aren't present in most
material in the first place. Even in classical recordings using classic
spaced / crossed pair or M+S, there will be discrepancies of several mm
in the left/right field placement (the microphones usually weren't
phsyically placed using laser levels/measures...) and this will vary
from recording to recording.

That's all really.

What this means in theoretical terms is that for "REAL" precision one
should be riding the Skew control rather like riding the VTA on a
turntable...

In practical terms the best one can do is to fix the skew control and
stop worrying about exactly where one's head is at.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103
- full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5),
Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Belden Digital,Kimber
8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.