Quite. Apple lossless is for many one of only two pragmatic lossless options,
the other being AIFF. That's not to say there's anything wrong with FLAC or
that in a perfect world FLAC would not be the better solution. But strangely
enough, in this particular dimension there are some people who do actually use
iTunes and iPods. Rather more of them than use SBs, according to the sales
figures. Some people have occasion and good reason to use both, and really
don't want to put up streaming lossy garbage to their really nice electrostatic
speakers, for equally good reasons. There is no good reason why anyone should
expect them to. Which suggests that this ill informed "fanboy" nonsense is not
only entirely apt to the subject line, but also purblind and moronic.

As for trying to have a thread here - well, I was just trying to get some kip
by reading crap about ALAC again.