cunobelinus;661039 Wrote:
> As for dbpoweramp and Foobar - I've got them on the VM, but they're so
> incredibly cumbersome (not least given the iPods) that I avoid them
> whenever possible.
> ?!?

I cannot imagine a music file player more simple and basic than Foobar!
Just browse to the music folder, select the tracks you want to play and
press "play". Nothing more to say on that one.

dBpoweramp is just unsurpassed for ripping, tagging and conversion.  I
can only assume either that you do not have the full, paid for, version
- which is essential - or that it does not work well through the VM.

The 'Accuraterip' (http://www.accuraterip.com/) database is brilliant
for ripping QC and the multiple tagging data sources essential for
getting tags sorted from the outset. The ability to use tag data to set
folder names makes conversion from the context menu a one-click option.
As for batch conversion and multiple format ripping - these are huge
time savers.

Sure, the menus and what-not are not in the Apple style, but that is
just a matter of familiarity. I find Apple menus equally frustrating,
but that is not Apple's fault, it is just I am used to Windows.

As for iTunes, I only use it as a means to get my music onto the iPod.
Otherwise it is the most bloated, inflexible and frustrating bit of
software I have ever used. Why oh why can I not display my music by
Composer? Or track artist rather than album artist? Or "cover-flow" by
genre?

It is far easier for me to find stuff in my collection simply by
browsing my folders. If I need to do anything complex like create
playlists then I use SqueezePlay or Softsqueeze.

One day I will make a list of the things that are wrong with iTunes
just for this sort of post. ;)

I suppose if you rely totally on iTunes to create a music catalogue you
won't know what I am talking about.  However if, like me, you put your
music files (like any other files) appropriately named into a nicely
ordered folder tree then anything that cannot follow that is just
frustrating.  I keep my music folders separate from iTunes and backed
up.  I just use the "add folder" option in iTunes to get the music in
for synchronisation with the iPod.

--
TheLastMan

Matt
http://www.last.fm/user/MJL-UK
*SqueezeBoxes:* SB Duet (Controller + two receivers)
*Server:* Synology DS107+ NAS (with firmware 2.3-1157) running
Squeezebox Server 7.5.1 on Synology Package Manager
*Network:* Netgear DG834GT ADSL modem/router, 2 x Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 as
access points
*Livingroom:* Receiver into Naim 42/110 amp, B&W CM2 speakers
*Kitchen:* Receiver into Denon DM37 mini-system, B&W 686 speakers
*Study:* Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/Headline.