The problem is, you always get such a more significant improvement with
changes to speakers.  The old 'source first' mantra may have made sense
in the 70s (maybe), but now any digital source is going to sound pretty
good, whereas speakers of the same price usually have notable
weaknesses.

I have run my SB3 via the DIY charlize amp into my Lowthers, and it
sounds really great - £300 of source and amp is all.  Sure my proper
DAC and amps are better, but if I desperately needed a grand or two I
could sell those and not be that worried.  If you asked me to downgrade
the speakers much, you'd make me miserable!  Put that in reverse, and
you have my 'sort the speakers first' plan.

Although I do appreciate that once you have the wife happy with
speakers, getting her to accept change can be a challenge.  You are
welcome to bring her here to see mine, which are incredibly large and
ugly; after she's seen them, you can introduce new speakers with
impunity!

--
adamslim

MPD on Linux PC, Young DAC, DIY Kondo M7 pre, 6B4G SET, Lowther
monsters
SB3, Charlize 2, DIY open baffle speakers
Boom x 2, Radio