Stilly77;680897 Wrote:
> SBGK......you no longer have any credibility with me.
>
> You've moved your settings all over the place the last week and keep
> proclaiming every one as best.
>
> At this point, your claims don't carry much weight and are no better
> than anyone that has ever made a tweak of the SBT.
>
> keep up the blah, blah, blah, pretty entertaining, but to be taken with
> a grain of salt.

No need to be upset with someone who is being so generous to share his
findings with us. Chill out, man.

I've spent some time today doing comparative listening. I was comparing
3 profiles offered by SBGK:

1. The profile from Dec 27 2011
2. The profile from yesterday (Dec 31 2011)
3. Today's profile (Jan 1, 2012)

Here are my findings:

I was in love for a few days with profile #1 (ever since Dec 27, that
is). After trying profile #2 (yesterday's profile) I found it exciting
at first, but after prolonged listening started experiencing surprising
levels of listening fatigue. Switched back to profile #1, and everything
got restored back to its previous magic.

Then I switched to profile #3 (today's profile). The sound got exciting
again, but without the adverse effects of fatiguing. I liked it a lot,
but wanted to compare it with profile #1 (because by this time I've
completely ruled out yesterday's profile). Much to my surprise,
realized that profile #1 sounds very, very muffled compared to profile
#3!

I'm staying with profile #3 for now. I haven't experienced fatiguing
with it, although it appears much brighter than profile #1.

Profile #2 brought considerable and almost unpleasant hardening of the
sound, especially in the higher frequencies. Music played though that
setting felt like watching a beautiful women under a super bright
reflector light -- the contours were very sharp and harshly delineated,
to the point of burning one's retina. Not a good long term experience.

I'm hoping that today's profile (#3) will be a keeper. It sounds very
present, very detailed, my only fear is that it may prove fatiguing in
the long run. Anyone has any comments on the validity of this profile
when it comes to longer listening sessions? I'm leaning more toward the
overall musicality of the sound, even if it's at the expense of precise
clinical details. Profile #1 did bring some magic in the area of
musicality, and I thought that it was a definite keeper, but now I
cannot realistically stay with it, seeing how muffled and fuzzy it
sounds when compared to profile #3. Today's profile (#3) does indeed
present so many fine details carved in the space very nicely (not as
etched as profile #2).

Overall, it is very surprising to me the hear such exaggerated
differences in the sound quality resulting from such apparent minor
tweaking of some low level software parameters. This may be dependent
upon the overall level of resolution of one's audio system. I would say
that if your system's total cost is around $10,000 and upwards, and if
you can't hear any differences between these 3 profiles I've mentioned
above, you should definitely sell that system and get some 'turn key'
home entertainment audio kit at Best Buy.

--
magiccarpetride