Deaf Cat;682887 Wrote:
> So smoothing the flow/load in the SBT in some systems sounds good and in
> others at 20k, peeks of rebuffering sound best.
>
> Hmmm interesting, I see what you mean as in ALSA should not effect the
> network streeming/buffering, if I am back early enough tomorrow I will
> try the 20k buffer just to see what the lights do and see what it
> sounds like :-)

4 ms to 20 ms would not make such a big difference for human ears... I
don't think we can say 20k ALSA buffer cause peaks of rebuffering and
4k not. Only the frequency at which this happens is 2,5 octave higher.

An assumption could be that this rebuffering would cause a noise with
specific frequency characteristics, around 250 Hz for 4k and 50 Hz for
20k buffer. Depending from the frequency characteristics of each
system, this noise could generate more or less interferences at cost of
SQ.

The ratio between streaming packet size and ALSA buffersize might also
have an incidence, creating stationnary or random noise if they are
respectively multiple or not of each other, since rebuffering would
happen respectively at regular or random intervals.

Again, these are a pure assumption difficult to verify. There still a
lot to be discovered about these phenomena.

--
evdplancke