My Aragon 4004 power amp is currently in the repair shop since one day
it decided to stop working. Luckily I was able to find a nearby audio
repair shop which specializes in the repair of Aragon amps.

This experience made me think about when one would choose to repair
rather than replace a given piece of audio equipment. Many of us on
this forum own somewhat expensive pieces of equipment, equipment that
for the most part is well made and built to last a long time but
nonetheless does sometime need to be repaired.

In the case of the Aragon power amp here is why I chose to repair
rather than replace. First I checked online at what is the current
price for used Aragon amp and other power amps which offer similar
build and sound quality. Then I got a quote from the repair shop on the
approximate cost of the repair. Since the cost of the repair was going
to less than half of the cost of replacing the amp I chose to repair
the amp.

One can say what one likes about the high prices of high end audio
equipment but I have found that for the most part much of this high
priced equipment is very well made and, unlike most mass market audio
equipment, usually worth repairing should something go wrong. Do you
have any guidelines you use to decide whether to repair or replace a
broken piece of equipment, barring of course equipment still under
warranty.

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2 (oops) -> Touch