adamdea;689090 Wrote:
> I agree that the impulse response is very misleading since it represents
> the response of the filter to an impossible input.
> BUt still  the effect of pre-ringing is confusing. Although it
> represents to effect of the filter cutting off frequencies above the
> stop band AFAIK it supposedly spreads out energy throughout the
> passband. This is where i get confused because it supposedly does so
> even though the filter has a flat response in the passband- how can it
> do that (PAGING TEDDY RAY)

I lately did some in a different forum, first some kind of Apodizing
against steep linear.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/718/impulsapo.png/
Second is a gentle linear:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/sox90a.png/

You see it shouldn´t touch the audible band at all.

--
Wombat

Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA
monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers