A final link for general amusement: Alan Sokal of the Department of
Physics at New York University wrote a nonsense paper "Transgressing
the Boundaries: Toward a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum
Gravity" and got it published in the Cultural Studies journal "Social
Text". Here is an article where he explains what he did and why he did
it:

> While my method was satirical, my motivation is utterly serious. What
> concerns me is the proliferation, not just of nonsense and sloppy
> thinking per se, but of a particular kind of nonsense and sloppy
> thinking: one that denies the existence of objective realities, or
> (when challenged) admits their existence but downplays their practical
> relevance.

> In short, my concern over the spread of subjectivist thinking is both
> intellectual and political. Intellectually, the problem with such
> doctrines is that they are false (when not simply meaningless). There
> is a real world; its properties are not merely social constructions;
> facts and evidence do matter. What sane person would contend otherwise?
> And yet, much contemporary academic theorizing consists precisely of
> attempts to blur these obvious truths -- the utter absurdity of it all
> being concealed through obscure and pretentious language.

> anyone who believes that the laws of physics are mere social conventions
> is invited to try transgressing those conventions from the windows of my
> apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.)

Hilarious:
http://www.physics.nyu.edu/faculty/sokal/lingua_franca_v4/lingua_franca_v4.html

--
darrell