item_audio;691675 Wrote:

> Equally inescapably, though, when you chain together a bunch of boards
> and power supplies and thousands of noise-producing components, they
> are creating a very complex electrical environment, in which tiny
> fluctuations and amplified and broadcast, creating chaotic feedback
> loops. Anything that IS different in that environment may sound
> different.
>
> So, FLAC v WAV? Same data, of course. But a different realtime playback
> environment because of on-the-fly decompression and different file
> handling. ITunes v JPlay? Again, same data, modified playback
> environment. Mac v Windows? Same data, dissimilar playback environment.
> Clean linear v noisy stock Squeezebox power supply? Same data, not the
> same stuff happening during music reproduction at all.

Sure, what you're saying is true. Every "performance" is different and
little differences could be perceptible.  But these differences you
speak of I believe are of such small magnitude like the atmospheric
pressure different than last night's auditioning, the ambient
temperature was off 1 degree, you gained 5 pounds after dinner and
filled up the room more, etc. that most people would consider this
-within the standard deviation of daily living and experience-.  This
is not even taking into account psychological state of flux in
day-to-day life!

I know some of the examples above appear ridiculous and trivial, but
why do we so easily point fingers like "maybe the frangmented HD messes
up jitter..." which IMO is likely just as trivial? Unless there is proof
that such a thing is an issue (ie. at least be reproducible if not
measurable - like comparing to an SSD).

Unless I'm missing something, my understanding of reality is that
bit-perfect file CANNOT sound different to the extent that I should
ever worry about it - any perceptible significant difference -beyond
the usual day-to-day fluctuations- has to do with the equipment or the
listener, not the data/file format. If indeed the TAS article is to be
trusted in this one aspect, then I would say the authors are either
using sub par equipment and too incompetent to fix their gear so
bit-accurate music sounds like it should, or they have awful
psychological insight into their own mental state (not to say any one
of us has full insight, but at least many of us acknowledge that blind
testing is important).

Ahhhh, whatever... Off to enjoy the night with the family and maybe
some tunes once the kids are sleep :-)

--
Archimago