ralphpnj;690007 Wrote:
> First I'm honored that one of my many endless rants helped to inspire
> this thread. Second perhaps we should get going over in the music
> section on the best covers of Bob Dylan songs. The new "Chimes of
> Freedom" collection gets a high vote just on volume alone.
>

> I'm beginning to think that it is the marketing departments of several
> manufactures behind all this nonsense. There two factors in play here.
> First there the shrinking CD player market as more and more people move
> to computer based audio front ends. And then there is the new, and as
> yet untapped, market of providing an interface between the
> computer/digital part and the stereo/analog part. Plus there is also
> the high end "certified" computer market, we just haven't gotten to
> that part yet.
>
> The new front end is quickly becoming some type of computer and in
> extreme cases even involves a $300 piece of plastic! I'm referring to
> the Touch of course. Just remember that little piece of plastic scares
> the hell out of the high end audio world so they need to tear it down.
> In addition they are building up some new myths help sell their $$$$$
> version of the Touch.
>
> The Touch can handle up to 24 bit/96 kHz so therefore make 32bit/192kHz
> the new high end high resolution standard. The Touch doesn't output USB
> so make asynchronous USB the new high end digital connection standard.
>
> So the manufactures push these new standards and the high end magazines
> follow along like good little sheep. As their reward they get more
> advertising and special treatment from the manufacturers. The well
> heeled audiophile gets to all kinds of new toys to play with. Everyone
> wins!
>

> Excellent analogy.
>

> I don't quite agree since I've heard it said by several musicians over
> the years that they sometimes wish that they could unlearn their
> musical training so that they could experience just the music without
> knowing all of the technical details behind it. In other words, hearing
> the repeated motif in a symphony as a melody instead of as a series of
> notes offset by one octave from the main motif. In any event your
> viewpoint is quite valid as well.
This didn't quite come out as I intended... I didn't mean the musical
elements such as melody, orchestration etc... I meant the sound/timbre
of the performance.
Anyone can appreciate both aspects... But making judgements Bout the
accuracy of the sound reproduction requires more experience than just
listening to lots of stuff.. I think you need some real hands on
experience creating / capturing sounds and THEN listening to them. I'm
only talking about accuracy/fidelity here, not anything else... Nothing
to do with enjoyment or pleasure.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1
DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's,
ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus
Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.