item_audio;692925 Wrote:
> 00110101011101
> is the same as
> 0 01 1 0 101 0 1 1 1 01
> to a printer, but not to a DAC.
>
> Similarly, your amplifier will amplify voltage fluctuations a cash
> machine will ignore. Audio systems are inherently sensitive to timing
> and rail noise; IT systems less so - as a cursory look at a motherboard
> reveals.

You are using arguments about one part of the chain that do not apply
to another part of the chain. Big animal pictures:

1) Digital file. The system is designed to exactly preserve this. RF
noise, issues on the power rails, etc. can not change this, without a
catastrophic failure. The bits don't change unnoticed.

2) DAC. As soon as the data is converted into an analog signal, it
again becomes susceptiable to noise/etc.

3) The interconnect between the system and the DAC. There may or may
not be possibilities for error here.

a) With well designed interconnects (computer circuits, networks,
modern interconnects like DLink or HDMI with handshakes) again, error
detection/correction is in place. What leaves one end arrives on the
other end exactly the same, or not at all.

b) Unfortunately, digital coax and optical interconnects are not
well designed, there is the possibility of jitter.

Trying to attribute problems of 2) or 3b) to the digital domains of 1)
and 3a) are false. So while we can have great discussions about the
attributes of various DACs, or just how much effect noise can have on
2) and 3b), we can not have real discussions on, for instance, the
audible effects of WAV/FLAC conversions or RF noise changing the signal
while on a network.

eric

--
EricBergan