ncarver;693616 Wrote:
> I don't understand "history of the content."  By that you mean which one
> came first, etc.?
>
> So let's be more precise and say we have two bit-identical audio/video
> files stored within the same physical filesystem (i.e., same partition)
> on some type of storage device on a computer.  You really want to claim
> that it is absolutely impossible for there to be any differences
> between the two files that could lead to playback differences on that
> computer?
>
> Really??
>
> I would suggest that you might want to think a bit harder, or perhaps
> study how large files actually get stored in filesystems.  Hint:  ever
> had to defragment a filesystem?  Even if two files are bit-identical,
> they may not be stored in exactly the same way in the filesystem.  One
> may be nearly contiguous, while the other may be scattered among a set
> of relatively small blocks.
>
> Certainly it would be possible to store a sequence of copies of a file
> in a filesystem so that the successive copies are increasingly
> fragmented, and this fragmentation could potentially cause increasing
> playback problems in the copies based on their generation.  I myself
> have absolutely encountered situations where some multimedia files
> played fine while others--created later--did not, precisely because the
> filesystem (NTFS) was becoming increasingly fragmented.  Defragmenting
> the filesystem fixed the problems (though the machine was unusable for
> a couple of hours!).
>
> While I too doubt TAS' claims--and the mere fact of some files being
> "copies" of others is irrelevant--it is definitely NOT IMPOSSIBLE that
> one might experience increasing playback issues with successive copies
> made on a fragmented filesystem.  While I think it UNLIKELY that the
> scenario I laid out is what happened to TAS, rebutting their claims was
> worthy of a bit more than simply sniggering at their stupidity and
> calling them names.

I've already explained the only possible circumstance in which this
MIGHT be an issue and that is noise generated by hard disk affecting a
DAC that is electrically close by. None of which has (thank heavens)
anything to do with SB players/users unless you are using a Touch with
attached USB disk...

They are stupid and I ain't retracting nothing.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1
DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's,
ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus
Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.