ncarver;693616 Wrote:

> So let's be more precise and say we have two bit-identical audio/video
> files stored within the same physical filesystem (i.e., same partition)
> on some type of storage device on a computer.  You really want to claim
> that it is absolutely impossible for there to be any differences
> between the two files that could lead to playback differences on that
> computer?
>
> Really??

Yes. It's called buffering (and caching on the disk controller). You
don't stream bytes from the disk to the DAC. You read sectors (or more
likely blocks) into memory. If there was a severe problem (disk is
failing, for instance) you would get silent gaps between blocks, but
not a degradation of the sound that does play.

eric

--
EricBergan